Welcome to Vancouver! When you're only here for the short duration of a conference, you need insider information to find the best places to go. Whether you're hungry, thirsty or bored and hoping experience classic Vancity - our staff of local foodies, athletes and explorers have you covered!
All of the following recommendations are a quick walk, bus or taxi away from the Vancouver Convention Centre for maximum exploring for minimum time!
Here's our Top 15 Things to Do in Vancouver while Attending a Conference:
Things to do if you're HUNGRY in Vancouver:
Photo credit: Carolina Horna @nina_horna on Instagram
1) Sushi: Miku - (200 Granville Street) Vancouver is famous for its sushi and Miku is legendary. If you only have sushi once, you have to have it here. Even if you don't eat raw fish - don't worry, the thing everyone must order is their salmon oshi (which is cooked with a blow torch right before your eyes!)
2) Schmooze-worthy steakhouse: Joe Fortes (777 Thurlow Street) - Impress clients and leads alike with this fantastic steakhouse. Its old school vibe, long-apron wearing waitors and sultry piano will have you (and your sales prospects!) feeling like a million bucks in no time.
3) Fresh oysters: Boulevard (845 Burrard Street) - Experience fresh farm/ocean to table that combines precision technique and artistry with delicious local flavours. If you've never been to the coast, you've never tasted what truly fresh seafood is like. Give it a try!
4) Chinese: Dinesty (1719 Robson Street). This classy place nestled in the heart of the shopping district of Vancouver has the best pork soup dumplings (aka Xiao Long Pao or XLB for short) ever. The soft shell crab is also delicious.
5) Ramen: Kintaro (788 Denman Street) - Vancouver is also famous for its ramen. Perfect for a rainy day - they have an amazing spicy garlic broth.
6) Pasta: Ask for Luigi (305 Alexander Street) - Speaking of comfort food, if you're looking for a delicious, like-home-made bowl of Italian delight, Luigi is the best place around. Nestled in our world-famous Gastown (don't forget to check out the steam clock...) their rabbit ragu and meatballs is to die for.
7) Sandwiches: Meat & Bread (310 Cambie Street) - Take a seat or grab it to go - meat and bread has the best porchetta sandwich in Vancouver. Great for a quick lunchtime bite or a sneaky snack in the back of your next session!
8) Breakfast: Six Degrees Eatery (1590 Coal Harbour Quay) - This gourmet but affordable tapas & cafe restaurant just opened and it's incredible! Just a short sea wall walk away from the Vancouver Convention Centre, this is a must if you're growing tired of your conference breakfast buffet and want to escape the buzz.
Things to do if you're THIRSTY in Vancouver
Photo credit: Tap and Barrel @tapandbarrel on Instagram
9) Wine: Tap and Barrel (#76, 1055 Canada Place) - Although this is also a great place to grab a local beer - the coolest thing about this 100% BC establishment is that they have tapped wine. You can affordably try some of their top quality wines by the glass or in a flight! They often receive exclusive kegs from wineries so they're the only place you can access that particular wine.
10) Beer: Craft Beer Market (85 West 1st Avenue) - If you want a good local beer, Craft has over 100 on tap! Try a flight or go for a whole pint of your favourite. Vancouver is known for its craft beer scene and this place features the most. It's also just a quick sea wall walk away from our iconic Science World.
11) Cocktails: The Refinery (1115 Granville Street) - Go explore the Granville strip and experience the more refined side of Vancouver's night life. Ask for a custom cocktail - they won't disappoint. Even if you don't drink, their virgin concotions are delicious. Their attention to detail in their service, drinks and tapas is off the charts.
Things to do if you're BORED in Vancouver:
Photo credit: Vancouver Aquarium @vanaqua on Instagram
12) Be amazed: Vancouver Aquarium - Experience local and exotic wildlife at our world-renowned aquarium and research centre. Watch and learn about dolphins, beluga whales, otters and more in this cruelty-free environment.
13) Be active: Bike around Stanley Park - There are tons of affordable bike rental places on Denman Street. Take a leisurely pedal on a vintage classic or get a workout with one of their professional models - just look out for wandering pedestrians!
14) Be entertained: Granville Island - Laugh until your face hurts at one of the local improv shows, or simply wander around the market and shop in their quirky boutiques.
15) Be social: Come hang out with us at Tradable Bits in our office inside the Westin Bayshore Hotel. We'd love to spend some time with you and chat poolside about how we can help you know your fans and market smarter!
Need a lunch date? We're happy to show you around if you just ask. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a meeting while you're in town.