T'was the month before Christmas and all through your team, there was nothing but panic - you might even scream. But before you get hung up on holiday fear... don't worry, we've got you! St. T-Bits is here.
We've compiled our biggest list of winter holiday-themed social media contest ideas ever! Here are 71 last-minute campaign ideas you can execute in mere hours.
(If you already know why holiday contests are important and how to create them, congrats! You're awesome! Just scroll down to skip to the ideas list.)
We've organised the 71 social media contests by template, because - hooray! - we've already designed and coded the mobile-friendly campaigns for you. All you need to do is plug in your text and branded images and you're ready to launch!
Before we get to the ideas, you may be wondering - why are holiday campaigns worth it? Here are just a few reasons why spending just a couple hours creating a contest will benefit your business:
- Collect constantly updated, enriched fan profiles of your customers
- Create quality, segmented audiences for future ad and email targeting
- Cut through noise and save ad budget when fans promote you with organic shares
How does this all work? Setup is as easy as 1-2-3! Here's how to configure these contests:
- Use a template to create a fun campaign with social login (so you collect fan IDs)
- Promote your campaign with emails, organic posts and social ads
- Sit back and enjoy an eggnog as the contacts and sales roll in
Without further ado, here's our epic list...
71 Social Media Contest Ideas for December Holidays
Don't have enough time to read through all the ideas? Take this quick quiz to find out which contest is best for YOUR business!
Personality quizzes are a fantastic way to engage fans while collecting psychographic data about their interests. They're super sharable, fun to complete and packed with opportunity for new leads! The trick is to design questions that give you valuable information you can later use to segment your audience for ads.
Here are our holiday-themed Personality Quiz ideas:
1) Which Christmas Movie is Your Life Story?
2) Which Present Will Santa Give You?
3) Which Christmas Movie Villian Are You?
4) Which Reindeer is Your Spirit Animal?
5) Which Gift is Perfect Your Hard-to-Buy-For Dad?
6) Which Holiday-Themed Goodie Should You Try? (Perfect for food/bev)
User-Generated Content (Photo) Contests
User-generated photo contests are the perfect way to amass a ton of awesome fan content and positive buzz right before the holidays. Stream makes it easy to collect fan entries across multiple social networks into one contest. Add voting to your contest to collect contacts from everyone that participates!
Here are our holiday-themed Stream Contest ideas:
7) Best Santa's Cookies Recipe Contest
8) Most Perfect Wrapping Job Contest
9) Ugliest Christmas Sweater Contest
10) Best Holiday-Themed Pet Costume Contest
11) Most Awkward Christmas Family Photo Contest
12) Best Office Holiday Decor Contest
13) Most Hilarious Family Christmas Card Contest
14) Best Gingerbread House Decoration Contest
15) Cutest Children's Santa Letter Contest
16) Most Hilarious Adult Santa Letter Contest
17) Christmas in Your Country (International Photo Contest)
18) Best Christmas Tree Decoration Contest
19) Most Convincing Santa Costume Contest
20) Best Holiday Photo Bomb Contest
21) Pay it Forward Charitable Champion Nomination
Video content is the hottest trend in 2017. Quickly and easily collect videos from fans for later reuse with a simple video contest. Super simple to set up, just ask fans to upload their video and sit back while the entries come rolling in! The best part? You can download them all in high-resolution after the contest is over.
Here are our holiday-themed Video Contest ideas:
22) Surprise Christmas Moments Video Contest
23) Best Christmas Carolers Video Contest
24) Christmas Morning Reaction Video Contest
25) Best Christmas Carol Rap Remix Contest
26) Funniest Christmas Troll (see Jimmy Kimmel) Video Contest
Quizzes are the perfect way to engage fans while assessing their knowledge on a particular topic. You can automatically tag fans based on their responses for later audience segments. Plus, when fans succeed they love to share!
Here are our holiday-themed Quiz ideas:
27) Christmas Treat Nutrition Quiz
28) Christmas Across Cultures Quiz
29) Santas Around the World Quiz
30) Christmas Dinners Abroad Quiz
31) Origins of Christmas Quiz
32) How Well Do You Know Your Christmas Carols? Quiz
33) How Well Do You Know Your Christmas Movies? Quiz
34) What are the Healthiest Holiday Meals? Quiz
35) Can You Guess How These Holiday Items Are Made? Quiz
36) How Long Would It Take You to Deliver These Gifts? Math Problem Quiz
37) How Well Did You Pay Attention to Our Holiday Video? Quiz
38) What Tools Would You Need to Get Santa's Job Done? Quiz (Perfect for outdoor retail)
Everyone loves a holiday ecard! Let your fans decorate their own personal masterpiece out of your brand assets and promote awareness when they share. Collect contacts for everyone who participates while spreading holiday cheer.
Here are our holiday-themed eCard ideas:
39) Decorate Your Own Ugly Sweater eCard
40) Happy Holidays Cards in International Languages
41) Decorate Your Own Christmas Tree eCard
42) Caption This Awkward Family Photo eCard
43) Christmas Cards from Movie Villains
44) Greeting Cards for Fake Holidays (Festivus, etc.)
45) Pay it Forward - Share This eCard + We'll Donate $x
46) Decorate Your Own Christmas Cup (Perfect for Coca Cola, Blenz, Starbucks, etc.)
Polls are a simple yet effective way of collecting contacts and segmenting them by behaviour. We have three types of polls - simple text poll, photo poll and contact poll. The first two are self-explanatory, and contact poll allows fans to optionally enter their contact information after they've already voted in your poll. Our Polls also support GIFs, so you can have a short looping video poll.
Here are our holiday-themed Poll ideas:
47) What's the Most Catchy Christmas Jam
48) What's the Best Christmas Movie Moment
49) What's the Most Clever Place to Hide a Present
50) What's the Best Christmas Escape Destination
51) Santa Suit Dunking Showdown: Who Scored Best?
52) What's the Best Holiday Beverage?
53) Which Holiday Movie Should We Screen at our Theatre?
54) How Do You Plan to Spend Christmas?
55) Which Artists Needs to Make a Christmas Album?
56) Choose Your Own Holiday Prize Contest (tag fans by selection, send winner what they chose)
Tug of Wars
Tug of Wars are a simplified, visual poll where you pit fans against each other and encourage them to rally their friends to vote for "their side". You present two options, and fans battle it out for the ultimate winner. This helps you collect contact information and divide your audience into core segments.
Here are our holiday-themed Tug of War ideas:
57) Who Sung It Better? Christmas Carol Artist Showdown
58) Are You on Santa's Good List or Bad List?
59) What's the Ultimate Holiday Dinner Main Course? Turkey vs. Ham
60) Fake Tree vs. Real Tree?
61) Would You Rather Receive? (Bad Present Battle)
Bracket Challenges are tree-structured contests where fans vote for their favourite option until they reach a finalist. This campaign helps distinguish super fans from first timers by encouraging fans to come back again and again for each round. Collect contact information every time fans vote, and automatically tag them based on their selections!
Here are our holiday-themed Bracket Challenge ideas:
62) Ultimate Fighter: Christmas Villains Edition (Who Would Win in a Battle?)
63) Showtime Showdown: What's the Best Christmas Movie of All Time?
64) Christmas Cookoff: What's the Best Yule Dish Ever?
65) What's the Ultimate Toy of the Season? (perfect for retail)
Other Popular Templates
With 29 templates to choose from, the possibilities are endless when you run holiday campaigns on our platform. Although we covered our most popular templates, we included a couple extra ideas for the other ones as well.
Here are some bonus holiday-themed campaign ideas:
66) Bundle: Hanukkah Advent Calendar (giveaways for every day)
67) Bundle: Countdown to Christmas Advent Calendar (giveaways for 24 days)
68) Instant Win: 12 Days of Prizes (instantly win a prize every day)
69) Instant Win: Giving Game (whenever they win, you donate to charity)
70) Cover Photo: Share the Giving Spirit (donate every time they install a branded cover photo)
71) Coupon: Follower Exclusive Boxing Day Deal (coupons for your followers on a particular network)
We hope you've enjoyed our 71 last-minute holiday campaign ideas! 🎁
Have an idea to add to this list? We'd love to hear it in the comments!